From:
Maps-L Moderator <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 8 Oct 2009 11:29:26 -0500
Subject:        Copy cataloging question
Date:   Thu, 08 Oct 2009 11:21:38 -0500
From:   Becky Lowery <[log in to unmask]>
To:     [log in to unmask]

The copy cataloger who works with maps has the following question:

I'm trying to copy-catalog two sets of maps: Northern Karafuto 1:50,000
and Southern Karafuto 1:50,000.  I've searched for both on OCLC
Connexion and come up with 3 records for Northern Karafuto, and I came
up with 2 records for Southern, one of which is a record that groups the
Northern collection with the Southern.  None of the records match the
call number that is on our sets of maps, which is G7336.N6 s50 .U5 for
the Northern set and G7336.S6 s50 .U5 for the Southern set.  The records
in Connexion have call numbers of G7330, G7331, and G7335.  Should I
take one of the existing records and just change the call number to suit
what is on our sets of maps, or should I set aside for original cataloging?
Thanks!

If you can provide any insight it would be appreciated.  We received
these maps long before either of us were employed here and have no idea
where the G7336  came from.

Becky Lowery

--
Rebecca Lowery PhD
Maps and Data Services Librarian (MC-234)

(312) 996-5277

A map is the greatest of all epic poems.  Its lines and colors show the realization of great dreams.

        "G.H. Grosvenor, Editor National Geographic, 1903-1954"