From:
Date:
Wed, 17 Jan 1996 10:08:28 EST
The "antique globes" message posted to Maps-L yesterday was also forwarded
to the Maphist list where it received a very informative reply.  I am posting
that Maphist message to this list because many on Maps-L are not on that list
and because the original message was posted here.------------------Johnnie

>Date:         Wed, 17 Jan 1996 10:17:31 +0100
>Sender:       Map History Discussion List <[log in to unmask]>
>From:         Peter van der Krogt <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject:      Re: 'antique' globes

The question was put  'where there may be some older globes and how they are
being cared for if at all'.

General information is to be found in 'Globes from the Western World' by
Elly Dekker and Peter van der Krogt (London: Zwemmer, 1993).
I suggest (immodestly) the student to read this book first.

Since 1951 the Internationale Coronelli-Gesellschaft fuer Globen und
Instrumentenkunde (president Mr. Rudolf Schmidt, Dominikanerbastei 21/28,
1010 Wien, Austria) is taking care on the inventarisation of old globes. In
their journal 'Der Globusfreund' regularly lists are published with the
globes preserved in the certain country. As far a I know there was a list of
old globes in Canada, Ed Dahl should know that.

Separate publications with full descriptions of globes in a certain country
are published from the former DDR, Bavaria, The Netherlands, Italy
(Coronelli's and Blaeu's globes only) and Denmark. In the Journal of the
American Scientific Instrument Enterprise Deborah Warner published a
descriptive list of globes published in the USA with location of the known
copies.

In 'Der Globusfreund' several time articles in restoration and conservation
are published.

About scanning globes there has done some work on the Behaim globe of 1492
for the large exhibit in 1992. The two-volume exhibition catalogue with
essays is titled 'Focus Behaim Globus' and is published by the Germanisches
Nationalmuseum in Nuernberg, Germany.

When the student wants more specific information, don't hesitate to contact
me privately by email or fax.

Peter

Dr Peter van der Krogt
Mijerstraat 20