From:
Date:
Mon, 14 Apr 1997 16:56:51 EDT
This message is from Peter can der Krogt.--------------------Johnnie

>Date: Sat, 12 Apr 1997 09:43:19 +0200
>From: Peter van der Krogt <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: Globe Quotes? + largest map

For the historical view of the use of globes, see

Globi Neerlandici : the production of globes in the Low Countries / Peter
van der Krogt. =97 Utrecht : HES Publishers, 1993. (see:
<http://www.forum-hes.nl/hes.htm>)

mainly:
chapter 6: Globe use and globe users in the seventeenth century
chapter 10: Globes for the general public

Btw, chapter 11 The nineteenth and twentieth centuries: from 'Etablissement
G=E9ographique de Bruxelles' to 'Eerste Nederlandsche Globe Industrie'
discusses the large world map by Vandermaelen, which could be mounted to a
globe of c. 7.75 meters diameter.

Peter

At 17:13 11-04-97 EDT, you wrote:
>Hello all.
>
>I'm searching for some kind of quote and/or statement about the
>usefulness
>of globes - as opposed to flat maps. Either something about globes
>themselves or about the importance of having a globe around, etc. I've
>been searching through several cartographic textbooks and have found
>some
>general statements in there, but I'm also looking for perhaps more
>whimsical quotes from famous people/characters/etc.
>
>I know this is a rather vague request, so my apologies. Anyone who might
>have an idea of what I'm talking about, please feel free to mail me
>directly.
>
>Tom Edwards
>Geographer
>Microsoft Corp.

Visit the MapHist WWW page
<http://kartoserver.frw.ruu.nl/HTML/STAFF/krogt/maphist.htm>

YYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY
Dr Peter van der Krogt
Map Historian, Explokart Research Program
Faculty of Geographical Sciences, University of Utrecht
P.O. Box 80.115
3508 TC  UTRECHT, The Netherlands
<http://kartoserver.frw.ruu.nl/HTML/STAFF/krogt/krogt.htm>
e-mail: [log in to unmask]
YYYYYYYYYYYYYYY PER ANGUSTA AD AUGUSTA YYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY