From:
Johnnie Sutherland <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 23 May 2003 16:51:56 -0400
Subject: MAGERT conference information
   Date: Fri, 23 May 2003 13:39:31 -0500
   From: Mary McInroy <[log in to unmask]>

The final MAGERT schedule for meetings and programs in Toronto is on the
MAGERT web page (http://magert.whoi.edu:8000/), complete with hotel and
room names.

A couple of additional things to note about the meeting schedule:

     Although Danielle Alderson, our ALA liaison, did a very good job of
     keeping most of our meetings in the central area, she was not able
     to locate the back-to-back ALCTS-CCS/MAGERT Cataloging Discussion
     Group meeting and the Cataloging & Classification Committee meeting
     in the same hotel on Sunday AM.  After some e-mailing back and
     forth with Discussion Group leader Scott McEathron and Committee
     Chair Barbara Story, we’ve decided to keep the room locations as
     they are, to alleviate any mix-ups.  Scott is planning to adjust
     his discussion group “dismissal” time to allow for travel time.

     The meeting time for the Program Planning committee is at
     11:30-12:30 on Monday, June 23.  I entered this committee twice on
     the ALA online scheduling form--sorry about that.  I asked Danielle
     to remove the erroneous meeting listing, but the printed program
     you will receive in Toronto may still list an additional time.
     Just remember, Program Planning will meet Monday from 11:30-12:30.

Reception, Friday--June 20
Our reception will be Friday night, June 20, in the Mackenzie Room of
the Best Western Primrose Hotel.  The Best Western Primrose, at 111
Carlton St., is not an ALA hotel but is relatively close to ALA hotel
#21 (the Ramada Hotel & Suites Downtown) on the ALA map.  We will offer
food, drink, conversation, MAGERT schedules, in-depth field trip
information, conference announcements, and more.  I may include some
non-threatening geography quiz questions to test our knowledge of Canada
and the United States.  Stay tuned.

Monday Field Trip-- June 23
Details are still being worked out, and information will be posted to
Maps-l and the MAGERT website as logistics are finalized.
TOUR--After our GIS program gets over at 4 PM on Monday in the Crowne
Plaza Toronto Centre, we’ll ride the Toronto subway to the University of
Toronto (UT).  There we will head for the 5th floor of the Robarts
Library and tour the Data, Map, and Government Information Services
(DMGIS) Division.  We will also visit the Fisher Rare Book Library (also
in the Robarts Library) and view some early Canadian and European maps
and other “good stuff.”  Our hosts at the Robarts Library will be Marcel
Fortin, GIS/Map Librarian, and Anne Dondertman, Dept Head & Assistant
Director of the Fisher Rare Book Library.  Marcel mentions that his
DMGIS is “not pretty,” but it is a working Canadian map library and thus
something many MAGERT members have not seen.  DMGIS also contains a GIS
reference/work area.
FOOD--Following our time in the Robarts Library, we will adjourn to an
as-yet unknown restaurant for a Dutch treat dinner.  Marcel is already
giving me dining suggestions in the area close by the library and
campus, known as the Yorkville area.  Closer to the conference, I’ll be
asking for an informal show of interest in this meal, so we’ll know
whether the restaurant can expect 5 or 15 or 35 people.

Hope to see many of you in Toronto.  For ALA’s tips on traveling to
Canada, click on ALA events and conferences
(http://www.ala.org/Template.cfm?Section=Events1), then on “ALA Annual
Conference,” then “2003 ALA/CLA Annual conference,” then finally click
on the “General Information” button.  The URL is impossibly long, or I
would have just pasted it in this message.

Mary McInroy, MAGERT Chair

Mary McInroy
Government Publications Department
and Map Collection