From:
Date:
Mon, 10 Nov 1997 14:42:35 EST
3 messages.--------------------------Johnnie

>From: Jan Smits <[log in to unmask]>
>Date: Mon, 10 Nov 1997 8:01:40 +100
>Subject: Historical geography (A)

Sue,

I'm not familiar with subject-headings use in the U.S. but would
like to comment.

The non-professional map-cataloguer makes sometimes the mistake
to discern between old and historical. E.g. when they have to
catalogue an old map by exception (say California in 1700) they
might give it the subject heading 'historical cartography'
instead of plain 'topography' and note down somewhere that it
refers to the period around 1700.

With us, while cataloguing maps, when using the word 'historical'
in a subject heading means that the map must show a process which
takes place between two dates somewhere back in time.
Unfortunately we only have the headings 'historical cartography'
and 'historical subjects' so most of these records get a double
subject heading.

Jan Smits
Map Curator Koninklijke Bibliotheek, National Library of The
Netherlands

>From: "Maura O'Connor" <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: RE: "Historical geography"
>Date: Mon, 10 Nov 1997 08:46:12 +1100

Sue
At the National Library of Australia we got around this problem by being
more specific and using what we call "participant headings" consisting
of the geographic jurisdiction and a chronological element eg:
California -1875.  We will also go down to town/city level or region
level, if appropriate. We will also use date ranges, if necessary, eg:
California - 1870-1875.  Dates used are the dates of information in the
map, which may also coincide with publication date That way, there is no
argument or confusion and both staff and clients can be confident of
finding something of the period they want, if we hold it.
Yours sincerely
Maura O'Connor
Map Curator
National Library of Australia

I understand historical geography to apply to maps which show how
things once were, i.e., historical thematic maps.  The ones you
describe probably got that heading because these older maps show how
it was relative to now--but at the time they were published, the
details shown were current rather than historical.  So, I agree, the
subheading does not apply.           ---Ken Rockwell
                                        Map Cataloger
                                        Marriott Library
                                        University of Utah