From:
Maps-L Moderator <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 20 Jan 2009 12:49:17 -0600
Subject:        Re: Indian lands in the United States
Date:   Tue, 20 Jan 2009 13:43:35 -0500
From:   John A Stevenson <[log in to unmask]>
To:     [log in to unmask]

Angie is correct: the PURL was redirected to a page in the Internet
Archive with a different URL than the one of record. The record in GPO's
catalog notes the original URL "as of 4/19/2000:
http://www.gdsc.bia.gov/pdf/usa.pdf; current access is available via PURL."

Searching this URL in the Internet Archive retrieves a copy from August
29, 2000 but the file appears to be defective:
http://web.archive.org/web/*/http://www.gdsc.bia.gov/pdf/usa.pdf

When a PURL breaks or leads people to the wrong resource, it's easy to
report via GPO's Help page http://www.gpoaccess.gov/help/index.html to
have the PURL redirected to a good copy. The ISBN on the USGS map
matches the one recorded in the record, so I'll report this one to GPO
and hope they'll redirect the PURL soon.

John

--
John A. Stevenson
Coordinator, Government Documents and Maps Processing Unit