From:
Johnnie Sutherland <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 17 Sep 1999 10:24:27 -0400
---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Sun, 17 Sep 2000 01:39:18 CDT
From: Joseph McCollum <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Queen cities (geotrivia) (fwd)

On Thu, 16 Sep 1999 10:08:17 -0400 Johnnie Sutherland
<[log in to unmask]> writes:
> [...]

Are you sure?  Buffalo, NY has referred to itself as the "Queen City" --
not at any time has Buffalo's population exceeded New York City.  is
Buffalo is the "Queen City" of Lake Erie?

I've never been, but a road atlas shows that Allentown, PA's airport is
the "Allentown-Queen City" Airport.  I suppose someone might use it en
route to Philadelphia, but I doubt it.

I asked someone at the Cincinnati Visitor's Bureau why Cincinnati was
called the "Queen City."  The person there gave some answer like "because
it is beautiful."

I thought it might have been because it was the "second largest."  That
would explain Buffalo, Cincinnati, and New Orleans (making St. Louis the
King City of the Mississippi).