From:
Date:
Thu, 3 Feb 2005 15:36:21 -0500
Subject:        Fwd: 1-16508392 @ Field Truncation
Date:   Thu, 03 Feb 2005 12:55:09 -0500
From:   Gwen Curtis <[log in to unmask]>
To:     [log in to unmask]

I recently came across a problem with the OCLC Connexion client that I
wanted to share in case any of you are also using it to catalog maps.  I
noticed that when I validated a map record that had coordinates in the
255, the system would delete the last 10-20 characters.  Here's the
response I got from OCLC. -- Gwen Curtis, Univ. of KY

> Date: 2 Feb 2005 16:55:42 -0500
> From: OCLC Customer Support<[log in to unmask]>
> Subject: 1-16508392 @ Field Truncation
> To: [log in to unmask]
>
> Hello,
>
> The problem has to do with how Connexion handles superscripts.  The
> only way around this problem is to use CatME or Passport for Windows
> until we get the problem fixed.  I do not have an estimate for when it
> will be resolved.  The description we have for the problem is as follows:
>
> "Problems with Superscript Characters in Connexion Browser and Client
> There are currently several problems related to records containing
> superscripts when these characters appear at or near the end of the
> subfield or field in a bibliographic record. These problems also
> affect records with subscripts and Greek characters. Any record
> containing these characters may be affected, but it appears to happen
> mainly on map records that contain a coordinate statement where only
> degrees are recorded.  Users may not be able to retrieve or process
> existing records. An error may result when a new record is added or an
> existing record is replaced.  Users are advised to check WorldCat
> before entering another for the same item or before trying to replace
> the record again.  OCLC is working on the problem.  We will advise
> users as soon as we have a solution"
>
> Please let me know if you have any further questions.
>
> Raymond L. Haines
> OCLC Customer Support
> Email: mailto:[log in to unmask]
> Phone: 800.848.5800

Gwen Curtis ([log in to unmask])
Pirtle Geological Sciences Library and Map Collection
410 King Library Addition
University of Kentucky Libraries
Lexington, KY 40506-0039
(859) 257-1853