From:
Johnnie Sutherland <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Dienes, Jennie
Date:
Thu, 3 Oct 2002 14:29:14 -0400
--- Begin Forwarded Message ---
Date: Thu, 3 Oct 2002 09:28:01 -0500
From: "Dienes, Jennie" <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Typing barcode or OCR numbers on maps for circulation checkout
Sender: "Dienes, Jennie" <[log in to unmask]>

Dear Colleagues,

At KU we are reviewing our current process of typing barcode or OCR numbers
onto all newly received maps.  In order to expedite the process, we are
considering applying barcode labels but are concerned about the thickness
they will add to the maps in the cases.

We are interested in what the practice is in your library in labeling or
typing barcode or OCR numbers onto your maps for the purpose of circulation.

What type of label do you use?

Do you stagger the placement of the label on the map?

Do you only assign a barcode or an OCR number when the map is circulated?

If you use labels, do you have difficulties or problems bumping into them
when filing away maps?

Any other comments are appreciated.

Thank you.  Jennie Dienes/Map librarian and Judith Emde/Cataloger
--- End Forwarded Message ---