Maps, Air Photo & GIS Forum
Date:
Wed, 9 Dec 2009 08:39:45 -0600
Subject:        Re: printing topos, etc.
Date:   Wed, 09 Dec 2009 09:15:19 -0500
From:   Russell Guy <[log in to unmask]>
To:     Maps, Air Photo & GIS Forum <[log in to unmask]>

Alice;

They are all gone, as far as I know.  They were primarily in the
large chain outdoor stores, such as REI plus as few of the larger
independents, such as Mapsco in Denver.  According to a couple of
store managers that I know that had the kiosks, the machines were
down a significant amount of time and were hard to fix.  The printed
product also had the problem of being shrunk from the original size,
which pushed contour lines closer together and made the (fuzzy)
elevation numbers even harder to read.  Most large stores have made
the investment and bought their own color plotters and plot them in
house.  Prices seem to vary around the $10 point for standard paper
or $15 for waterproof paper.

The kiosks were the first of their kind and "leading edge" at the
time and kudos to NGS for trying them.

Cheers
Russell

At 09:04 AM 12/9/2009, you wrote:
> [...]

Russell Guy                             [log in to unmask]
Omnimap.com                             http://www.omnimap.com
P.O. Box 2096                           Tel.:  800-742-2677 (USA only)
1004 South Mebane St.                        Tel.:  336-227-8300
(International)
Burlington, NC 27216-2096 USA            Fax:  336-227-3748
      Past President (1996), International Map Trade Association