From:
Robert Lopresti <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 15 Dec 2017 22:47:32 +0000
At Western Washington University I am in charge of both.  We are a selective federal depository but we receive almost nothing tangible anymore except maps.  (When we took over the map collection a  decade ago - it had been owned by the environmental college - we promised to keep getting any map series they wanted.)  The government books are in two unstaffed collections (one fed, one Washington and Canadian) in one library building.  The maps collection is on the first (i.e. basement) floor of a connected but separate library building, open four hours per day.  A collection manager runs it.  I oversee the collection but do not supervise him.  Confusing?  Yeah.  Fortunately he's great.  We are moving the Map Collection next year to a better space on the main floor of that building, but will be sharing it with the microforms readers.

Rob

Rob Lopresti
Western Washington University
Librarian for Maps, Government Information, Huxley College of the Environment, and Canadian-American Studies.        Wilson Library 275                         360-650-3342                 [log in to unmask]
"Truth is very scarce in official documents. It is not expected by the public, and it would be utterly thrown away upon Congress." -J. Ross Browne, U.S. Treasury official, 1858