From:
Johnnie Sutherland <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Darius Bartlett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 17 Jun 1999 10:53:18 -0400
--- Begin Forwarded Message ---
Date: Thu, 17 Jun 1999 11:50:09 +0100
From: Darius Bartlett <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Announcement for a PhD researcher in Finland
Sender: Darius Bartlett <[log in to unmask]>

The following announcement was circulated on the Irish Geographer's
list (IRL-GEOG) June 16, so I presume it is not too late to
apply. I haven't seen it posted on MAPS-L but, given the nature
of the position, it may be of interest to some of ye?

Darius

---------------------------
>ANNOUNCEMENT FOR A POSITION OF A PhD -RESEARCHER
>
>in a multidisciplinary research project "Landscapes of the past, present
>and future: conquering compatibility problems to visualise and compare
>spatial data" at the Department of Geography, University of Turku. The
>project is financed by the Information Research programme of the Academy
>of
>Finland.
>
>The project aims to contribute to the development of user-friendly,
>accurate and information efficient solutions for the future needs of
>digital spatial data handling. We are aiming to develop dynamic
>solutions
>for the interactive use of multi-source spatial data materials such as
>maps, remote sensing imageries and field data as well as developing
>generally applicable procedures for data quality assessment. Please
>consult
>the project's www-pages for further details:
>http://www.utu.fi/ml/maantiede/maisema/index.html
>
>We are looking for a suitable PhD-candidate to complete our research
>team
>from August 1999 to November 2001.
>
>We offer to you:
>- Challenging working environment in an active research team
>- Internationally oriented work culture
>- Well-equipped laboratory (see
>http://www.utu.fi/ml/kartografia/compcart/)
>- Possibility for close interaction with information technology
>companies
>- Salary of a research assistant from August 1999 till November 2001
>- Economical support for travel and working costs
>
>We expect from you:
>- MSc or equivalent basic training in the field of geography or related
>sciences
>- Keen interest to explore the unknown in the field of digital
>cartography
>- Aim towards PhD at the Department of Geography of the University of
>Turku
>along lines of this project (supervision available; also support of a
>graduate school)
>- International orientation with shown ability to communicate and to
>produce scientific text in English
>
>A highly potential candidate may already have published a couple of
>articles in scientific journals, making it possible to reach the PhD
>degree
>within a couple of years. However, all candidates are considered
>seriously
>and you should not hesitate to try if you really are interested and feel
>that it is "my post".
>
>APPLICATIONS should be written in English and they should be received
>prior
>to 5th of June. They should contain max 2000 words introducing yourself,
>your special interest for the job and your major qualifications for it.
>Please include also names of a couple of scientists who know you well.
>
>Applications should be provided with full contact information to reach
> [...]
Darius Bartlett                                         Darius Bartlett
Department of Geography                          Roinn na Tireolaiochta
University College Cork                  Colaste na hOllscoile Corcaigh
Cork, Ireland                                            Corcaigh, Eire

Phone: (+353) 21 902835                            Fax: (+353) 21 271980
Phone(GSM): (+353) 86 8238043               Fax (GSM): (+353) 86 8018143
E-mail: [log in to unmask]
Web page URL: http://www.ucc.ie/ucc/depts/geography/stafhome/djb/djb.htm
This message was transmitted using 100% recycled electrons....
--- End Forwarded Message ---