From:
Maps-L Moderator <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 5 Feb 2009 13:14:30 -0600
See attached ... or read below

*NOT EVERYTHING GOES ON SALE*

/ /

* *

*Wednesday January 7th 2009*

/ /

/EARTH, /the world’s most detailed atlas of our time, increased in price
by 20% on the 1st January, 2009. The Australian publishing company
Millennium House has increased the Australian RRP of /EARTH/ from $5,000
to $6,000.

It is a move that has come after extremely high levels of demand for
/EARTH across the globe,/ exceeding all original expectations and
supply. Across the globe, customers have desired the intricate detail
and exclusivity that /EARTH/ provides.

In October of last year, the first atlas ever printed sold at auction in
London for 2.1 million pounds, proving the value of an atlas has never
been greater. The price increase of /EARTH /is minute in comparison to
its value and the value it will have over years to come. As a time
capsule of our current world, not only does /EARTH/ provide the most
detailed information of our planet, it is a collector’s item that can be
passed down from generation to generation.

The planned allocation of 200 copies of /EARTH/ for the Australian
market had to be reduced to 100 copies due to the tremendous levels of
demand seen overseas. Whilst there are still a few copies of the atlas
available in Australia the current world allocation means that some
countries will miss out on receiving copies. /EARTH/ will not be
available in some nations, like China and India, due to disputed borders
and the risk of embargo is too high.

The response to /EARTH /has affirmed that superior quality, exquisitely
produced books—even in this current economic climate—are still in demand
from discerning book lovers and collectors. Interestingly, many of the
buyers purchasing /EARTH /are merchant bankers, lawyers and physicians.
Distinguished libraries, museums and universities, along with prominent
companies are also using the /EARTH/ collection as gifts and boardroom
adornment.

Bart Rademakey, from Borders Bondi Junction, Australia says, “/EARTH/
has been a real eye-catcher here in the store. People are amazed by the
beautiful images in the book, particularly the gatefold pages that
spread out to show the Earth’s night sky. We are really lucky to have
one here on display. Its unique size and selection of images makes it
like nothing customers have ever seen before”.

/ /

With only 3,000 copies of /EARTH/ printed in 2 collections, it is an
exquisite time capsule of our world as it stands today, and is likely to
be the last atlas of this grandeur to ever be produced. Beautifully
presented in a leather-bound case, this hand-bound, hand-numbered,
576-page atlas, weighing 20 kilo (44 pounds), is a statement both in
taste and design. The exceedingly high levels of demand for /EARTH/ are
a testament to its quality and detail.

For media enquiries, images and interviews, please contact Michelle Di
Stefano at Millennium House on 02 9970 6850 or