From:
Johnnie Sutherland <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Bernie A. Kyle
Date:
Wed, 22 Dec 1999 16:42:03 -0500
--- Begin Forwarded Message ---
Date: Tue, 21 Dec 1999 17:22:54 -0800
From: "Bernie A. Kyle" <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Re: DXF Line Styles <fwd>
Sender: "Bernie A. Kyle" <[log in to unmask]>

On Mon, 6 Dec 1999 15:13:18 -0500, you wrote:

>Sender: Ted Florence <[log in to unmask]>
>
>Does anyone know how to go about mapping the dash/gap sizes of LTYPE in
>a DXF to point values? We've re-written our MAPublisher DXF importer to
>consider the line styles defined in the DXF file, and while it works to
>some extent, we are having trouble with the sizes. The LTYPE sections
>define lines like, for example:
>
>49
>0.125
>49
>-0.05
>
>We think this means a dash of length 0.125 followed by a gap of 0.05,
>but we are not 100% sure of this (since the field that specifies the
>total length of the dash is usually larger than the total we calculate).

You are right to a point, the 0.125 does mean a line length 0.125,
anything with a - (minus)in front means a space of whatever distance.
If the number is just a "0" then you get a dot. Other controlling
factors include linetype scale to change the size or scaling of the
lines and spaces depending on the scale of the drawing. (things in the
cad world are usually drawn 1 to 1).

>Even if we are right though, clearly a pt. size of 0.125 is pretty
>ridiculous and does not match the result of the AI DXF import.

This is not a pt. size but could represent inches (most likely) or
millimeters - there are separate linetype files for metric and
imperial. the scale of the drawing will influence the linetype scale
mention above. Don't know what the "49"s in your example mean as the
code is usually written:
0.125,-0.05

Hope that helps (sorry for the delay)
any other autocad/microstation questions, just ask..

Bernie Kyle
www.divemap.com
--- End Forwarded Message ---