From:
Date:
Wed, 19 Mar 2003 15:54:57 -0500
Subject: Fwd: that screwy OC series
Date: Wed, 19 Mar 2003 12:18:26 -0600
From: Jim Coombs <[log in to unmask]>
To: Maps and Air Photo Systems Forum <[log in to unmask]>

------------------
Folks,

The UM-R Geology Dept. has recently transferred depository maps to the
library and they are discovering the mysteries of USGS mapping.  I'm
forwarding this to the list mostly for your entertainment, since most of
us
have experienced this, but if you have advice for the poor woman, send
it
to me or her.

>The Oil and Gas Investigations Series is driving me nuts.  There are two
>separate sudoc numbers set up, one for charts and one for maps.  The
>problem is, there is no apparent consistency in whether a particular item
>is a "chart" or a "map" and many of the numbers contain both.  Sometimes
>these combined items are labeled "Map", and others "Chart".  Then there
>are all the numbers stuffed in plain envelopes that aren't labeled as
>either one.  Given that the item numbers are consecutive, is it acceptable
>to just label all of these things with the "map" sudoc number?  Will I be
>thrown in jail?  Will Homeland Security take my hard drive?  Will anyone
>on the planet ever know or care what happens to these things?  (I'm
>assuming a couple of people will eventually notice that I am
>missing...possibly filed under I 19.92:OC-)
>
>Georgia
>
>Georgia Hall
>Government Documents
>University of Missouri-Rolla