From:
Date:
Tue, 17 Jan 2012 13:41:06 -0600
Subject: RE: If there was a god of mapping...
Date: Tue, 17 Jan 2012 19:23:51 +0000
From: Weessies, Kathleen <[log in to unmask]>
To: Maps, Air Photo, GIS Forum - Map Librarianship <[log in to unmask]>

Wow, I queried my coworkers and received a deluge of answers.  I will
summarize here:

• Butler's Lives of Saints. That's where I'd check... –Rachel
• Thomas the Apostle, Patron Saint of surveyors. –Don
• Saint Christopher might apply to maps since he is the patron saint of safe
travels.  -Melissa
• Well, in the Greek Orthodox and Italian Catholic tradition, St.
Nicholas is the patron saint of travelers, especially sailors. –Stephanie
• How about St. Brendan the Navigator?  Patron saint of navigators,
travelers, etc.   Supposedly explored North America in the 6th century
or so... Terri
• Our subject librarian for religion recommended these resources: Man,
Myth and Magic, the Illustrated Encyclopedia of Mythology, Religion and
the Unknown. Oversize collection BF 1411 .M25 1995 v. 1-21
Mythology, a Visual Encyclopedia.  Main BL 311 .F67 2001
Goddesses in World Mythology.  Main BL 473.5 .A66 1993
Guide to the Gods. Main BL 473 .L43 1992
Encyclopedia of Ancient Deities. Main BL 782 .C67 2000
Dictionary of Celtic Mythology.  Main BL 900 .M445 1998
Encyclopedia of Russian and Slavic Myth and Legend. Main BL 930 .D58 1998

• Try this site: http://saints.sqpn.com/patronage-topics/   -- Denise
• well there is St. Anthony, patron saint of lost causes, things, etc.
--Diana

Kathleen Weessies
Geosciences Librarian
Head, Map Library