From:
Angie Cope <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 17 Mar 2011 09:26:11 -0500
Subject: Using maps for research
Date: Wed, 16 Mar 2011 17:52:48 -0400
From: Michael Fry <[log in to unmask]>
To: Maps, Air Photo, GIS Forum - Map Librarianship <[log in to unmask]>

Hi,
I'm teaching a class next month to co-workers here at Nat Geo
("Mapping and GIS Research") and am looking for useful examples of how
maps and geospatial resources can be used by writers, researchers,
fact checkers, producers, etc. I intend to cover the essential basics
(e.g., scale, projection, legends and symbology, dates, map types) but
can't spend too much time on that stuff because a lot of my audience
is already pretty savvy about it. So I'd like to spend time talking
about how maps can be useful--perhaps in unexpected ways--to their
work. I have some ideas and examples from my own experience, but am
hoping you all have favorite stories/anecdotes/lessons that would
help. In short, I'd like to illustrate how geospatial resources--maps
in general, specific map types, gazetteers, etc.--can provide info
that some other resources don't.

Thanks for anything you can suggest!

mf

--