From:
Darius Bartlett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 25 Oct 1996 16:51:32 EDT
At 10:05 24/10/96 -0400, you wrote:
>The British Ordnance Survey has had Print on Demand in their largest maps
>stores for a year or more.  It is only for the larger scales (1:12,500 etc.)
>if I remember correctly and not for the 1:25,000 series.  It is aimed at the
>commercial users; builders, real estate agents, etc. that need land plats,
>building info, etc., rather than the hiker, etc. that is a major user of
>topos here in the USA.

I think the Print-on-Demand service from the (UK) OS has been on the go for
quite a few years now. But this wee exchange got me wondering.... how does
the poor Map Librarian deal with P-O-D maps? Especially if, as will soon be
the case if it is not already, the output maps can be almost infinitely
customised and varied in terms of contents, coordinate footprint, etc., at
the request of the customer. If any of these maps end up in map library
stocks, how do you catalogue and manage them???? For the original (special)
customer they may be great. For the archivist or collector, or even the
secondary user (including students...) I can see all sorts of problems!

Ah well, that's progress for you!

Darius
Darius Bartlett                                             Darius Bartlett
Department of Geography                              Roinn na Tireolaiochta
University College Cork                      Colaste na hOllscoile Corcaigh
Cork, Ireland                                                Corcaigh, Eire

Phone: (+353) 21 902835                               Fax: (+353) 21 271980
Internet: [log in to unmask]          WWW: http://www.ucc.ie:80/ucc.depts/geography
This message was transmitted using 100% recycled electrons....