From:
Date:
Thu, 17 Oct 1996 12:12:55 EDT
2 messages ----------------------------------Johnnie

---------------------------------------

>Date: Wed, 16 Oct 1996 14:09:42 -0400
>From: "Russell Guy, Customer Service" <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: DMA Name Change???

"Effective 1 October 1996, the Defense Mapping Agency (DMA) joins the
Department of Defense's (DoD) newest combat support agency, the National
Imagery and Mapping Agency (NIMA), which was created under the authority of
the Fiscal Year 1997 Defense Authorization Bill.

NIMA consolidates imagery and geospatial resources and management into a
single, streamlined DoD agency to provide timely, relevant, and accurate
imagery, imagery intelligence, and geospatial information in support of
national security objectives."

From a notice to DMA contractors dated 1 October 1996.

Seems that the new name is pronounced "neema".

Russell Guy
Omni Resources

At 04:00 PM 10/16/96 EDT, you wrote:
>This message is from Paul Leverenz.----------Johnnie

>>From: [log in to unmask]
>>Date: Tue, 15 Oct 1996 14:09:00 -0700
>>Subject: DMA NAME CHANGE???
>

>          I have just been informed that the Defense Mapping Agency is
>          now NATIONAL IMAGERY AND MAPPING AGENCY.
>
>          (Notice to Mariners no.40 1996 5 October: "Published weekly
>          by the Defense Mapping Agency"
>
>          Notice to Mariners no.41 1996 12 October: "Published weekly
>          by the National Imagery and Mapping Agency")
>
>          Must be true, eh?  Hope the University of California at
>          Santa Barbara Map & Imagery Laboratory doesn't mind.
>
>          - PML
>
>-----
>
>>Subject: DMA NAME CHANGE, message 2
>
>          Johnnie:  Please afix this to my previous message about the
>          DMA name change. Here is what is said in Notice to Mariners
>          no.41:
>
>          "Effective October 01, 1996 the Defense Mapping Agency (DMA)
>          joins the Department of Defense's newest combat support
>          agency, the National Imagery and Mapping Agency (NIMA),
>          which was created unde the authority of the Fiscal Year 1997
>          Defense Authorization Bill.
>
>          NIMA consolidates imagery and geospatial resources and
>          management into a single, streamlined DoD agency to provide
>          timely, relevant, and accurate imagery, imagery
>          intelligence, and geospatial information in support of
>          national security objectives.
>
>          All products, services and points of contact provided by DMA
>          will remain the same under NIMA."

Russell Guy
OMNI Resources
http://www.omnimap.com

>Date: Wed, 16 Oct 1996 17:33:07 -0400 (EDT)
>From: C Denise Stephens <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: DMA Name Change???

Hello.

The Defense Mapping Agency is now NIMA.  Word of the coming change had
been issued this past winter in the premier issue of NAVIGATOR (v.1/n.1
Winter 1996).

Hope this helps.

Denise Stephens
DMA(ooops NIMA)Liason
CUAC (Cartographic Users Advisory Council)