From:
Angie Cope <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 9 Dec 2009 19:34:20 -0600
----- Forwarded Message -----
From: "Elizabeth Perkes" <[log in to unmask]>
To: "[log in to unmask]" <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Wednesday, December 9, 2009 5:52:55 PM GMT -06:00 US/Canada Central
Subject: Re: Map reproduction/use licensing policies

You might want to check the public records access laws in your state/province. Many government-produced records are declared public by statute, which means anyone can ask for them and do what they want with them. You may want to adopt rules about how someone cites your organization as the creator of the record, but public domain and FOIA rules usually allow people to use your stuff. Formal fees for use may be published in statute or local ordinance, so check to see if those already exist. In my state, you can't just charge a fee arbitrarily for a government record.

Elizabeth Perkes
Electronic Records Archivist
Utah State Archives
346 South Rio Grande
Salt Lake City, UT 84101-1106
801-531-3852

The State Archives' hours of operation are Monday-Thursday, 7:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. and closed on Friday. Please make a note of these hours.