From:
Johnnie Sutherland <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Carlucci, April
Date:
Thu, 18 Jul 2002 13:00:15 -0400
--- Begin Forwarded Message ---
Date: Thu, 18 Jul 2002 17:13:54 +0100
From: "Carlucci, April" <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Stolen atlas (2)
Sender: "Carlucci, April" <[log in to unmask]>

We apologise for the cross-posting.

We have reason to believe the following atlas was removed illegally from the
Maps reading room of the British Library on the afternoon of Friday 21 June
2002.

William Camden. The abridgment of Camden's Britania, with the maps of the
seuvrall shires of England and Wales. Dedicated by John Brill to King
Charles I. Printed by John Bill Printer to the King's most excellent
Maiestie, 1626. approx size 18 x 14.5 cm (5 3/4 x 6 7/8 inches).

The volume is described as item 41 in Thomas Chubb's The printed maps and
atlases of Great Britain and Ireland...1579-1870. It includes a map of
England followed by 51 county maps of England and Wales, in a style very
similar to those of Peter Keer (1599). Generally there is text placed in
such a way that the map and corresponding text can be viewed together, thus
the text on the verso of each map is not the text accompanying the map of
that county. We are unable to confirm the binding material or style. There
should be British Library ownership stamps in the atlas, which are most
likely of the style of a small crown with B on the left and L on the right.

The Metropolitan Police have been informed.

Please contact me for further information.

Thank you.

April Carlucci
Deputy Map Librarian
The British Library
+44 (0)20 7412 7062

Now open at the British Library Galleries:

Trading Places : the East India Company and Asia (to 22 September)

legally privileged. It is intended for the addressee(s) only. If you
are not the intended recipient, please delete this e-mail and notify
the [log in to unmask] : The contents of this e-mail must not be
disclosed or copied without the sender's consent.

The statements and opinions expressed in this message are those of
the author and do not necessarily reflect those of the British
Library. The British Library does not take any responsibility for
the views of the author.
--- End Forwarded Message ---