From:
Angie Cope <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 24 Oct 2008 19:33:25 -0500
----- Forwarded Message -----
From: "Kenneth A. Mr. Grabach" <[log in to unmask]>
To: "[log in to unmask]" <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Friday, October 24, 2008 9:05:13 AM GMT -06:00 US/Canada Central
Subject: RE: West of Sundown

In Arizona, New Mexico, and some other large states with desert areas there are several quadrangles with West of ..., or East of ... names.  A student who was working with me to get our quadrangles listed in the catalog found these to be quite amusing.  We began imagining an area so devoid of identifiable places and features that there might be a West of west of ..., or East of east of ... quadrangle.  We never did find such.  Seems to me that the Board of Geographic Names has loads of opportunity to choose their own place and feature names.

West of Sundown is wonderful, though.  Wonder if there is an East of Sunrise quadrangle out there?  We do have in this area of Ohio a Morning Sun, and Indiana on the Ohio River has a Rising Sun, but both are smaller than the major place named on the relevant quadrangles.

Ken Grabach                           <[log in to unmask]>
Maps Librarian                         Phone: 513-529-1726
Miami University Libraries
Oxford, Ohio  45056  USA