Date:
Mon, 6 Jun 1994 09:19:48 EDT
1. For the Research Libraries Collection Management Group:
unfortunately it's at 8am (on the Saturday), but that's
the only bad news I have.
Agenda:
        a. "Acquisitions Tips and Traps," Dr. Helen Armstrong,
University of Florida.  Helen promises to tell us about
the mistakes, not just what she did correctly; she emphasizes
that her presentation is not intended just for large map
collections, that these tips are even more important for libraries
with small map budgets.  She'll speak on the topic for 10-20
minutes, and then we'll have it open for discussion.
        b. Possible cooperative project: pre-1900 maps
onto CD-ROM; David Allen and David Cobb apparently are both
involved in this, and we'd like to hear from them on
their progress.  D. Allen suggests that "creating a digital
portfolio of rare maps located at a number of major libraries
would be a timely and worthwhile project...;" he's already
put together a small grant proposal for creating a cd of
colonial-era maps of New York State.
        c. Recording holdings of foreign-topo series:
D. Allen.
        d. Standards: it would be greatly to everyone's
advantage if we in MAGERT would take a look at SLA
Geography & Map Division's standards for univ. libraries
and see what we can do about having an ALA document
on standards for univ/research spatial data collections
(as a place to start).  Mary Galneder has kindly offered
to send me some copies of the standards, which I would
happily give to persons willing to read over the
standards and make recommendations for additions/changes/
whatever.  I am most interested in this myself and
am mainly looking for cohorts.  (Note: the SLAG&M standards
were issued as theDivision's Special Publication 3, and
available free; they also appear in a Bulletin, which
I'm embarrassed to say I don't have the cite of).

2. NOTIS Special Interest Group for Cartographic Materials
Another Saturday meeting, at 2pm! the same time as
"Mapping of Florida" program!  so I'm going to make
this brief.
        a. report from Beverly Ryan, NOTIS Users
Group member, who looks after this SIG's interests
at NUG meetings.  (Sidenote: Beverly will begin
work at the UCSB Library effective 7/5 or
thereabouts.
        b. Federal metadata standards call for a browse file of the
item cataloged.  Given the kinds of terminals libraries
use for their online catalogs, I foresee some problems
here.  At the same time, for preservation of the materials, it
is much better for users to browse digitally rather
than manually.
        c. Other points of interest that you have on
your mind? (Note: Western Association of Map Libraries
meeting this fall - in Jackson Hole - will have a session
on maps in online systems, specifically on circulation
if I remember correctly)

If you have decided that being in Miami in late June is
injurious both to your health and your bank account,
do send me email/fax/whatever is easiest for you
of comments/willingness to work/new areas we need to work on.

Mary Larsgaard
Chair, RLCMG, ALA MAGERT (try saying that 10 times, fast)
Chair, NOTIS SIG CM