From:
Date:
Wed, 21 Mar 2012 08:01:20 -0500
Subject:        Re: Image fee for mobile apps
Date:   Tue, 20 Mar 2012 15:45:03 -0700 (PDT)
From:   Julie Sweetkind-Singer <[log in to unmask]>
To:     Air Photo Maps, GIS Forum - Map Librarianship <[log in to unmask]>

Hi, all,

Here's my 2 cents. If the maps are in the public domain, I would charge
only to get them the files they need - an amount that makes sense with
what you'd normally charge for your institution using imagery. Then, I'd
let them run with it. Do you really want to guess on the usage or try to
account for it afterward? Think of the nightmare of having them send you
a report each quarter or year showing you usage and paying accordingly.
First, I don't think they'd be inclined to do it. Second, you'd have to
deal with the accounting.

As it is out of copyright, I would strongly suggest that you let them
use the materials in any way they see fit. This is what I'm advocating
to the directors here at Stanford. I feel it is my obligation as a
librarian to fight for free use of public domain materials whenever
possible. Nothing gets me on a soap box more than librarians, in effect,
taking items out of the public domain simply because they've scanned
them and then charging unreasonable amounts for use or by not sharing
the files forcing others to scan the same materials. Charge a reasonable
amount for your time to get them the images (or for the media on which
it is delivered) and then ask for some kind of attribution and a share
alike Creative Commons license. We want people using our things! The
more we charge, the harder we make it, the more people will look
elsewhere and turn away from using libraries as a source of materials.

Julie

***
Julie Sweetkind-Singer
Assistant Director of Geospatial, Cartographic and Scientific Data &
Services
Head Librarian, Branner Earth Sciences Library & Map Collections
Stanford University
397 Panama Mall; MC 2211
Stanford, CA 94305
(650)725-1102