From:
Date:
Wed, 15 Feb 1995 13:25:45 EST
Three messages ----------------------Johnnie

    : Tue, 14 Feb 1995 21:48:42 -0800 (PST)
    : "T. Edwards" <[log in to unmask]>
       : Re: Help Wanted

Have you taken a look at "How to Lie with Maps" by Mark Monomier? This
might be a good place to start.

T. Edwards

On Tue, 14 Feb 1995, Peter Blanchard wrote:

> Wanted: Opinionated Maps
>
> In preparing a Master's thesis I'm researching ways in which maps have been
> used to present a particular point of view.  While all representations are
> biased in one way or another, I'm looking for intentional bias.  The classic
> example of this is the propaganda maps prepared during World War II, but I'm
> looking for recent maps as well, maps which use the elements of cartography
> to make an argument.  This might be in the business world, with
> environmental concerns, in the political realm, and so on.  They might come
> from informational brochures, direct mail or other sources.  Of particular
> interest to me would be maps of the same area which support opposing views.
> If you know of such maps and could direct me to them or have copies which
> could be sent to me, I'd appreciate it a great deal.
>
> Thank-you,
>
> Peter Blanchard  6814 Chelsea St.  Madison, WI 53719

    : Wed, 15 Feb 1995 08:38:39 -0500
    : [log in to unmask] (Velma Parker)
       : Re: Help Wanted

Dear Peter
I recall a map that I saw when I worked at the University of Ottawa Map
Library which may be a sample of what you are after.  Unfortunately, I no
longer work there but I can tell you something about it which may help you
locate it.  It was a map of northwestern Africa produced by the Moroccan
government in the 1970's.  This was during the fight over the Spanish
Sahara.  It redrew the boundaries of Morocco and Mauritania eliminating
Spanish Sahara from the map by dividing it between the two countries.  Any
map library with a good collection of maps of Africa will likely have it
and be able to give you a citation.

Velma

--
Velma Parker
National Archives of Canada

    : Wed Feb 15 10:43:56 EST 1995
       : Re: Help Wanted

If you are working on a Masters' thesis, and sitting in the middle of two map
collections of note, at Milwaukee and at Madison, isn't this research that YOU
are supposed to do? No where do you state you have done a literature search on
your own, or note that you have thoroughly searched these two map collections.

Alice Hudson
Chief, Map Division
N.Y.P.L.