From:
Joan Zeeb-Roman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 21 Apr 1997 17:12:29 EDT
Hello,

I am under the impression that most all maps produced by the U.S. Government ca
n be legally copied, since they are not copyrighted.  However, I am unsure as t
o what U.S. Govt. maps are not permitted to be copied.  I believe some maps of
the Defense Mapping Agency, Army Mapping Service, etc. are not allowed to be co
pied.  What I would like to know is exactly what maps by what agencies you cann
 t copy.  I seem to remember a librarian getting into serious trouble for copyi
ng some maps for a patron.  I forget just what kind that he copied.  I just had
 a patron who wanted to copy some old A.M.S. maps of Palestine and I wasn't su
re if it was OK or not.  Does anyone have the answer to this or know where I ca
n find the regulations.

TIA for any enlightment on this topic.

Joan Zeeb-Roman
Map Library, Kent State University