From:
Date:
Fri, 3 Dec 1993 14:28:41 EST
Two messages dealing with software on, and to read the DOQs.----Johnnie

      Thu, 2 Dec 93 17:58 EST
         Re: DOQ Problem

   According to Gil Baldwin at GPO, little is known about the nature of the
software to be included on the production run of DOQ CD-ROM disks, except that
it will allow the downloading of files from the disk to another storage medium
(e.g.: a hard drive).  He indicated that the software on the Olmsted County
test disk was not representative of what will be included in the production
run, and that the most current information from USGS indicates that the
massive series will *NOT* to include any software with display or printing
capability. The Library Programs Service survey indicates that

     DOQ discs include "plain Vanilla" public domain software which
     provides basic retrieval functionality. IT DOES NOT PROVIDE IMAGE
     DISPLAY OR PRINTING CAPABILITY.  IN ORDER TO UTILIZE THE DOQS A
     LIBRARY MUST PURCHASE GIS SOFTWARE.  VIEWING OR PRINTING IMAGES
     OR MAPS REQUIRES GIS SOFTWARE. {capital letters represent the bold,
     underlined text in this statement}

   It would be a mistake to assume that the Olmsted County test disk
accurately represents the final product, although the data format may be the
same. Perhaps someone from USGS could fill us in on the particulars?

John Stevenson ([log in to unmask]) University of Delaware Library

      02 Dec 1993 18:45:23 -0600 (CST)
      ALLENLC@VUCTRVAX
         gis software

Can anyone give me an idea how much GIS software will cost to run the DOQ
discs? We have computers and CD drives.  I expect we will need large format
printers or plotters.  Am I correct?

Laurie Allen/Stevenson Library/Vanderbilt University/Nashville, TN