From:
Linda Zellmer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 24 Oct 1993 14:26:22 EDT
Hello All,
  After returning from the CCISA meeting, I presented a summary of
the meeting to several colleagues.  My summary statement was that the
future of U.S. Government Information appears to be access to
information and data via the Internet.  One of my colleagues made a
very enlightened remark:
  "That's fine for now, because the Internet is federally funded.
What happens if the Information Superhighway is privatized?"
Let's face facts--most Library budgets are not overflowing with
funds.  The structure of the electronic depository seems to be based
on the assumption that we will continue to have free access to a
network.  If we have to pay for network access to Depository
information, we will no longer have the free access to government
information that Jefferson envisioned.  I, for one, feel that this
point needs to be made emphatically with the powers that be at GPO.
Otherwise, we will indeed have two classes of citizens--the
information haves, and the information have nots.    Linda Zellmer