From:
Date:
Tue, 14 Jun 2011 09:51:45 -0500
Subject: Re: Keeping old topographic indexes
Date: Tue, 14 Jun 2011 10:21:26 -0400
From: John A Stevenson <[log in to unmask]>
To: Maps, Air Photo, GIS Forum - Map Librarianship <[log in to unmask]>

Sandy,

Most quadrangle names don't change, but areas subject to development may
take new names. A quadrangle named "Awful Swamp North Northwest" may be
renamed "Pleasantville" if people move to it and build a town.

As newer quadrangles may supersede earlier ones with different names,
this makes use of new and old indexes a bit trickier, especially in
libraries using indexes for shelf listing materials.

John A. Stevenson
Associate Librarian
Coordinator, Government Documents and Maps Processing Unit
University of Delaware Library
181 S. College Ave.
Newark, DE 19717-5267
302 831-8671