From:
Date:
Thu, 14 Jun 2012 08:37:34 -0500
Subject: Re: [MAPS-L] Call number Question for Local Maps
Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2012 08:31:57 -0500
From: Susan Moore <[log in to unmask]>
To: Maps, Air Photo, GIS Forum - Map Librarianship <[log in to unmask]>

Hi Heidi,

I'll intersperse my answers in your message.

> The maps that I am working on will fall under the “sub-area map”
> category and I have been checking LC and other to make sure I have the
> right pattern/order.
>
> For example, I have a map of River Falls, made by J. J. Stoner from
> 1880, so the call number would be:
>
> G4124.R8 1880 .S7
>
> Right?

Right!

> Is the second cutter always one letter and one number instead of 2
> numbers or does it depend on what your library wants to do?

It depends partially on what your library wants to do and partially on
how far you have to do with Cutters to make sure you have a unique
call number for each title.

> Then, my strange question is – do you know why there is a second period
> in front of the cutter for the authority responsible for the map? Many
> times when you have a second cutter, there isn’t a period – I can only
> believe that you use the period because of the placement of the year.
> This is not a big deal – just a curiosity for me. I’ve been racking my
> brain trying to come up with the rule for this but cannot.

I believe you are correct and it's because of the intervening of the
year. If we didn't repeat the decimal point (aka the period), people
wouldn't know that the number is a decimal and follows decimal filing.

> Also, the tables state that you can “Apply Table G1a for subject” when
> you are using the number for cities and town, etc. A-Z. Have you ever
> seen this, I have only seen examples of numbers that apply the G4124
> table and then add the cutter for authority responsible for the map. I
> have only see the G1a table applied to G4121 numbers.

Yes, I've done this. For example, we have in our collection maps that
show the probable extent of flooding in Cedar Falls. I assigned the
call number G4154.C3C32. The G4154.C3 is for Cedar Falls, the C32 is
for floods.

I hope this helps.

Susan Moore
University of Northern Iowa