From:
Date:
Thu, 3 Oct 2013 12:33:10 -0500
Subject: RE: Chalkboard globe
Date: Thu, 3 Oct 2013 16:38:39 +0000
From: Weessies, Kathleen <[log in to unmask]>
To: Maps, Air Photo, GIS Forum - Map Librarianship <[log in to unmask]>

We have a chalkboard globe made by one of the geography professors.  She
painted over an old globe with chalkboard paint, used glue and sand to
give texture to the land masses, and outlined the landmasses with a
raised glue-ish substance (which might glow in the dark).  The intent
was to make a tactile globe for the sight impaired, but the chalkboard
surface is fun for visiting groups of kids.  I leave chalk out next to
it all the time....surprisingly few "naughty" words are found written on it.

It was gifted to the Map Library several years ago.  It happens to be
almost identical in color to our dark gray Mayline cabinets.  The
university photographer took a picture of it once, and so now it shows
up occasionally on campus websites.  Such as:
http://msutoday.msu.edu/news/2013/scholar-lands-fellowship-to-study-international-education/

Kathleen Weessies
Geosciences Librarian
Head, Map Library