From:
Date:
Thu, 8 Mar 2012 14:27:12 -0600
Subject: RE: Needing tips on finding University Map Librarian/Liaison
ositions
Date: Thu, 8 Mar 2012 20:24:02 +0000
From: Ken Rockwell <[log in to unmask]>
To: Maps, Air Photo, GIS Forum - Map Librarianship <[log in to unmask]>

Amanda, it may be difficult to find a full-time map library position,
but if you're flexible and take a position with another emphasis at a
library that has a substantial map collection, something may develop.
My own experience: The University of Utah's Marriott Library has a good
map collection that was part of the Science and Engineering division
back in 1989 when I arrived.  A member of that division oversaw the
collection as part of her responsibilities.  I was hired as a cataloger,
and spent most of my first 5 years cataloging the maps.  The map person
knew of my interest in the maps (I had a goal of becoming a map
librarian from day 1 of library school), so she got me involved in map
acquisition and recruited me to work the reference desk for some hours.
  Later she left the division for another position, and I inherited the
collection, becoming the main resource person for maps in the library.
I arranged to have an office next to the map collection so that I could pr!
  ovide onsite reference. My primary responsibilities are still
cataloging and digital collections metadata, but I'm always ready for
helping with the maps, and the reference librarians always punt map
questions to me.
Which brings up the fact that many of our colleagues are a bit shy of
dealing with the maps, and if a library does not have a dedicated map
person, they will happily pass that responsibility to someone who wants
it.  Look around for a position you could live with for now, in a
library that has a good collection. Express interest from the start in
working with the maps, and your position might evolve to include them,
even if it isn't your sole focus.  Worked for me...

---Ken Rockwell
   University of Utah