Date:
Tue, 30 Jul 1996 11:34:40 EDT
David,

> Is anyone familiar with the United Nations software package called
> PopMap?? It is supposedly a database package with mapping features - I am
> curious WHAT data it includes. Any comments would be greatly appreciated.

> David A. Cobb                           Tel (617) 495-2417
> Harvard Map Collection                  FAX (617) 496-0440

I saw a demo of PopMap over a year ago.  it was invented by some teenage
genius in vietnam--that is where PopMap is based.  the UN is trying to
give this software to countries for free or at little cost so they can
develop things like databases and national atlases.  At the time I saw
it, Indonesia had used PopMap to develop a database/maps of
population/infantmortality on Java.  Also, I believe it was Zaire, had
published a new national atlas using the software exclusively.  i wrote
both indonesia and zarie trying to get a copy of these things but never
heard back from them.

--christopher jj thiry
map librarian
colorado school of mines