From:
"Angie Cope, AGSL" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 6 Jan 2006 08:39:04 -0600
Subject:        Re: RE: MAPS-L: U.S. county-level relief data
Date:   Fri, 06 Jan 2006
From:   Mike Flannigan <[log in to unmask]>
To:     Maps, Air Photo & Geospatial Systems Forum <[log in to unmask]>

Yeah, after thinking about it for a while I decided to forget
about GNIS and go straight to the benchmarks.  I thought
they would have a benchmark at the highest place in the
county, but now I suspect that is not true.  I quickly
downloaded Platte county MO benchmarks and found
the highest "dynamic ht" was 947.16 ft.  The benchmark
was reportedly here:
http://www.topozone.com/map.asp?lat=39.39944&lon=-94.86333&datum=NAD27&s=50&size=l

You can see elevations up to 972 ft right on that map.

Now I've decided that DEMs (digital elevation models)
are the way to go.  Of course you need the county
outlines for the whole USA.  On another GIS list
I am on we are working on those right now.  The
DEMS and county outline data are freely available
for the USA (I think), but finding the data is another
matter.

I'm going to do the county outline data because I
want it for other applications.  I'll leave the DEM
data to others, because like I say - I'm only mildly
interested in these high points.  Will probably get
to it someday, but probably not now.

Mike Flannigan