From:
Johnnie Sutherland <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 30 Dec 1998 11:52:20 -0500
---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Tue, 29 Dec 1998 13:51:01 -0700
From: Ronald Whistance-Smith <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Cc: [log in to unmask]
Subject: NWT Explorers' Map

Dear all,
I've just obtained the latest edition of the Northwest
Territories Explorers' Map (the Official highway and
tourist map).  It bears no date that I can find anywhere,
but in answer to a query about the two covers used on
the map dated 1991, I received a letter (Aug. 1998)
stating that the first new edition since 1991 had
just recently been released.

You are all aware that Nunavut Tourism has released a
map of its portion of the north.  This is the first
NWT map to show only what will be NWT after April 1,
1999, so it is a 1998 map of a political entity which
will not come into being until three months of 1999
have passed.
Scale is ca. 1:3,100,000.  Inset is a small map
showing "The Inuvialuit, Gwich'in and Sahtu Land Claims
Areas".
Included is a table of Communities giving the
"Traditional Name" and "Meaning" along with services
available in each community.  One which surprised me
but shouldn't have, is "Banking Machine".

On the verso is "Brief history of Travel in Canada's
Northwest Teritories", organized under five headings.
There is an outline map of North America showing the
location of the NWT, and three route maps: "Ingraham
Trail", ca. 1:200,000 (east from Yellowknife); "The
Dempster Highway"; "The Deh Cho Connection".

The letter from Parks and Tourism did say it was
available for purchase.  I bought my copy at Map
Town here in Edmonton, for $2.50 plus GST.

Ron
Ron Whistance-Smith
14520 84th Ave. NW
Edmonton, AB
Canada   T5R 3X2
FAX: (403) 483-5858                   email: [log in to unmask]