Date:
Thu, 20 Sep 2007 14:49:21 -0500
Subject:        Re: Library school recommendations
Date:   Thu, 20 Sep 2007 14:57:17 -0300
From:   James Boxall <[log in to unmask]>
To:     Maps, Air Photo & Geospatial Systems Forum <[log in to unmask]>

Susan

Our School of Information Management (http://sim.management.dal.ca/) has
one course at present (one planned for on line) which
deals with "geospatial information management" - which includes the
paper and digital realms. While the degree
does not focus on map librarianship in any formal way, I've had several
students go on to map library careers.
We have had several students take reading courses with me, and students
have the option to take one or more GIS courses
on campus (most of which are within the Earth Sciences Department), and
any number of ESRI virtual campus courses
(which I also go through in the GIM course).

Moreover, students have gone on to the Centre of Geographic Sciences
(COGS) here in Nova Scotia for an advanced diploma in geomatics, which
happens to be a very well respected program amongst the GIS community
(ESRI snaps up everyone :-) http://www.cogs.ns.ca/Programs/Geomatics/GIS.asp

I'd love to be humble, but in my view, we have done a damn good job on
a campus without a geography department to provide some support. Oh, and I
also hire 4 SIM students each year for the map collection which counts
as their practicum, and provide additional work and support through the
GIS Centre.

GIS and Maps within librarianship is seen as a collaborative approach
and one we are actively and strategically focused on enhancing.
It helps that your SIM director does GIS research with you :-)

That may or may not help and I am sure any number of places will help
you succeed and give you what you need to follow that pathway.

good luck in your choices! and it is great to see someone really
scouting out the options!

cheers
james

--
James C. Boxall, FRGS
Director and Curator

President, Canadian Cartographic Association
http://www.cca-acc.org/

Vice President, Geomatics Association of Nova Scotia
http://www.gans.ca