From:
Date:
Thu, 28 Aug 1997 14:18:11 EDT
2 messages.-----------------Johnnie

>Date: Thu, 28 Aug 1997 12:02:43 -0400 (EDT)
>From: "Duane F. Marble" <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: Jefferson Grid and Maps of Settlements across the U.S.

Two items:

(1) A colleague of mine, Dr. Forrest Pitts (formerly of the University
of Hawaii), has suggested that Jefferson got his original idea from
the Chinese.

(2) At least one oil company, wedded to the PLSS locational descriptions,
created "psuedo-Jeffersonian" coordinates for a number of areas such
as Texas, Louisiana, Alaska, etc., that were not included in the
original system. These were used internally by the company and also sold
as part of a large digital database.

Professor Duane F. Marble   E-mail:    [log in to unmask]
Dept. of Geography          Home Page: http://www.geography.ohio-state.edu
The Ohio State University   Telephone: (614) 292-2250
Columbus, OH 43210          Fax:       (614) 292-6213

>Date: Thu, 28 Aug 1997 09:09:40 CDT
>From: <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject:     Re: Jefferson Grid and Maps of Settlements across the U.S.

Re the Jefferson Grid, perhaps this federal depository publication will
provide some information:
     White, C. Albert.  "A History of the Rectangular Survey System."
     Supt. Docs. no.  I53.2: Su7/2

                     Marsha L. Selmer, Map Libn., Univ. of Ill. at Chicago