Date:
Thu, 12 Apr 2007 08:30:01 -0500
Subject:        Re: Brazillian air photos
Date:   Thu, 12 Apr 2007 09:15:41 -0400
From:   Michael Holt <[log in to unmask]>
To:     Maps, Air Photo & Geospatial Systems Forum <[log in to unmask]>

Maps-L wrote:

> I am trying to help a patron locate aerial photography of Brazil
> reputedly flown by US Air Force in 1964.  Here is what he has told me:
>
> I have only found vague mention of these. From my understanding during a
> military regime change in Brazil in 1964, the US with permission of the
> Brazilian government conducted a comprehensive aerial photography
> campaign for all of Brazil except the state of Amazonia. Any information
> about this or actual archive products would be of great help.
>
> He says that he has had no luck with NARA or NGA since his information
> is so vague.

Tell him to try an aviation history magazine.   Aviation History, Wings
& Airpower, and the British magazines (Aeroplane, Air Enthusiast) all
have solid contacts with USAF retired personnel.  Someone will know
something.  I can provide the magazines' contact information, if you wish.

It was in about 1961 that the USAF lost a Snark cruise missile in
Brazil.  The thing went out of range and just rumbled on until it ran
out of fuel -- which had to be somewhere in Brazil.   I've never read
about a search for it, but some search must have been carried out, and
that photo survey may have been it.

Michael Holt
--

The breadth and depth of a man's mind is in direct proportion to the extent of his curiosity.  -Samuel Johnson