From:
Date:
Tue, 11 Oct 2011 08:14:45 -0500
forwarded ...

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: [MapHist] Topography of Terror: Maps of the Warsaw Ghetto
Date: Mon, 10 Oct 2011 15:24:48 +0000
From: Brink, P.P.W.J. van den (Paul) <[log in to unmask]>
To: Discussion group for map history <[log in to unmask]>

During the 24th International Conference on the History of Cartography
in Moscow in July of this year, our friend Harrie Theunissen from the
Netherlands presented a very well received paper on "Topography of
Terror: Maps of the Warsaw Ghetto". During this presentation Harrie
showed several original maps of the Ghetto that he has collected over
the years with his partner John Steegh, illustrated how these maps were
used by the German military to systematically surpress the Jewish
population and confine them to an always decreasing urban space.

For several reasons Harrie decided not to publish his paper in one of
the journals of our field. Instead he preferres to present a much
enlarged version of his paper (with much more maps) on the web. Those
who are interested in the paper (that really shows how much context
matters in defining and understanding cartographies of suppression)
should follow the accompnying link www.siger.org/warsawghettomaps/

Sincerely

Paul van den Brink
University of Utrecht