From:
Date:
Wed, 15 Nov 1995 16:03:32 EST
4 messages.   Many of the U.S. Federal employees are not at work because the
U.S. budget has not been approved.  Some of the Federal computers are also
shut down.  If you can not get into a U.S. government computer it is due
to the government shut-down.  For the non-U.S. readers of this list, this
problem could last for a week or more. It is politics.--------Johnnie

>Date: Tue, 14 Nov 1995 16:22:18 -0700
>From: [log in to unmask] (Paul R. Larson)
>Subject: Re: Access to Geo. Names of the US

>This morning I tried to access the GNIS as per your announcement.
>The following response came back to me:
>
>"403 Forbidden
>Your client does not have permission to get URL /www/gnis from this
>server."
>
>Is access to this database restricted to the U.S.A. only?
>
>Regards, Jerry Kowalyk
>Science & Technology Library
>Cameron 1-26
>University of Alberta
>T6G 2J8

>Ph.: (403)492-7905
>Fax:(403)492-2721

It must not have anything to do with being in or out of the USA.  I am in
the USA and got the same message.  Is it because the US Government is shut
down?

Paul R. Larson

Paul R. Larson
Assistant Professor, Geography
Room SC 309
Southern Utah University
Cedar City, Utah 84720

tel: (801) 865-8244
fax: (801) 865-8051
E-mail [log in to unmask]

>Date: Tue, 14 Nov 1995 16:35:21 -0600 (CST)
>From: lela donat <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: Access to Geo. Names of the US

John, I too tried to access the Geo Names through Mosaic, but no luck.
Any suggestions?

Lela Donat

Not likely.  I couldn't get into it either.  Maybe it was turned off in
anticipation of the govt. shutdown?  I tried yesterday (11/13) and got
the same message.  Any ideas as to how we can access it anyone?

David Lundquist
Shields Library
Univ. of Calif., Davis

>Date: Tue, 14 Nov 1995 17:06:32 -0800 (PST)
>From: Lily Wai <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: Access to Geo. Names of the US

I had the same problem when I tried it yesterday.  May be there is a
typo in the URL?  I am in the U.S.

Lily Wai                                Phone: 208-885-6344
Head of Government Documents            Fax:   208-885-6817
University of Idaho Library (0135)      E-Mail:[log in to unmask]
Moscow, ID 83844-2353                   http://drseuss.lib.uidaho.edu:80/govdoc/