From:
Clint Matthews <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 8 Dec 1993 17:01:33 EST
I'm working on a project to set up a statewide GIS network
with Oklahoma State University and the Governor's Council on
Environmental Quality.  A small group of concerned citizens
has formed a committee from state agencies, Oklahoma State
University and the University of Oklahoma.  As a part of this
study a survey is being conducted of GIS users and a data
catalog or index of electronic spatial data for Oklahoma is
being compiled.  This data catalog will be distributed to
to Oklahoma GIS users in paper and computer formats.  Not
having much experience in cataloging has lead me to talk with
a few librarians here at OSU and they have shown me the OCLC
computer files format and maps format.  While these appear to
work well there is a lot of metadata that can only be entered
in the 500 fields which are hard to search.  I realize that
this is only one system of cataloging, but are there better
systems that are specific to the cataloging of electronic
maps?
Clint Matthews
Geography Department
Oklahoma State University