From:
"Angie Cope, AGSL" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 10 May 2006 15:10:28 -0500
Subject:        Library technology questions
Date:   Wed, 10 May 2006 16:07:33 -0400
From:   John Olson <[log in to unmask]>
To:     <[log in to unmask]>

Greetings Everyone,

This may be a bit off topic for this list, but I think it does have some relevance since a lot of us are using more GIS and geospatial data in our libraries and we need to coordinate with our library/campus IT departments to make some of this happen.

As part of a team here at Syracuse Univ. we've been charged with completing an environmental scan in the area of library technology, with a focus on emerging technologies and trends, the results of which will eventually inform a new strategic plan.

If your library has a successful IT organizational structure, our team would be very interested to hear details about what makes it work within your environment.
Specifically,

--What kind of staff makes up this department/division?
--What types of library services do you support? Any especially noteworthy and new initiatives?
--Does your department/division have an IT plan?
and
--Anything else you feel contributes to your success.

Also, please share any recommendations for institutions, web sites/blogs or articles that are worth reviewing in our attempt to create the IT department of the future!

Finally, please let me know if you would be willing to be contacted if the team has further questions.

Your insights, input, comments, etc. would be most greatly appreciated.

John A. Olson
Maps/GIS Librarian
358 Bird Library
Syracuse University