From:
Linda Zellmer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 9 Jan 1996 20:44:54 EST
Hello All,

  There was an interesting article in Sunday's _Denver Post_ about a
new commission that has been appointed to determine the CORRECT
location of the Texas-Oklahoma Border, which is technically the south
side of the Red River as it was some time in the 1830s (I think the
date is correct, I am writing this from memory).

  Of course, trying to determine the location of the river at that
time is difficult, if not impossible.  However, the question of the
border's location causes all kinds of confusion--who answers
emergency calls (police, fire and ambulance), taxation, and so on.

Anyway, this commission has until 1998 to address the problem.  There
have been other commissions in the past that were unsuccessful.

Any ideas from map people?

Linda Zellmer
University of Wyoming