From:
Johnnie Sutherland <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Harry O. Davis
Date:
Fri, 31 May 2002 14:35:40 -0400
Colleagues in map librarianship:

Morris Library at Southern Illinois University - Carbondale is undergoing
major reorganization and this poses many questions, including some about
the relationship of our Map Library to our GIS services.  It would help me
to get a picture of what is typical at other libraries.

Your response to the following questions, directly to me (or to the
listserv), would be appreciated not later than 2 pm CDT, Monday, June 3.  I
will be glad to summarize responses to the list if I hear enough to warrant
the sharing.

Here is our current situation: The Map Library and GIS are physically
separated by four floors and also organizationally separated, with each
having separate reporting lines.  (There is a whole history behind
this.)  I have argued for a merged unit to optimize expertise, collection
development, and patron services for all spatial data resources, both print
and electronic.  The current reorganization plan (still under
consideration), however, retains the status quo, i.e., separation.

The questions:

(1)  Do you offer GIS services at your library and, if so, is this within
the same unit as the map library, or in a different, separate unit?

(2)  Are your GIS services provided by a librarian or by a
non-librarian?  If by a librarian, is this the same person as the map
librarian or a different person?  If GIS services are provided by a
non-librarian, to whom does that person report?

(3)  What name is given to the "map library" and/or GIS unit?  ("Map
Library" or something else?)

(4)  Please offer any comments or advice you have about merged vs. separate
map and GIS library collections and services

Thanks so much.

Harry Davis

Harry O. Davis                       <> Phone:    618-453-2705
Map and Assistant Science Librarian  <> FAX:      618-453-2704
Morris Library / MS 6632
Southern Illinois University         <> Internet: [log in to unmask]
Carbondale, Illinois 62901