From:
Brian Matuschak <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 10 Mar 1994 12:39:35 EST

On Wed, 9 Mar 1994, Keith Clarke wrote:

> As some of you may know, I am currently working on the second
> edition of my book, Analytical and Computer Cartography.
> In Chapter 6, a new chapter entitled "Access to Spatial Data,"
>  in a subsection on "Finding Spatial Data" I make the following
> statement:
> QUOTE
>         The search for paper maps is often conducted in a library. Librarians
> have been slow to adapt their tools and techniques to the archiving and sup-
> ply of digital map data, but there are now signs that the map librarian com-
> munity is rising to the challenge. Map librarians make use of computer
> networks to share information and conduct searches, and are now beginning
> to make census and other digital maps available in libraries. In addition,
> commercial companies often sell cartographic data and will conduct search-
> es. Landsat imagery, for example, from EOSAT, can be searched for and
> browsed using an on-line data base.
> UNQUOTE
>
> Am I being fair to the map librarians? I know that MAPS-L reflects folks
> on the cutting edge of Information Science, and don't want to hit too far
> off the mainstream.

Keith:

I'm not a map librarian but a writer.  My recommendation is to be more
diplomatic in the second sentence such as "Up until recently,
librarians..."  Another thing I see, although it's trivial, is the use of
"data base" rather than "database."  I use the latter term when it refers
to information managed in some sort of system; this seems to be the
preference in the media.  Hope this helps,

  Brian J. Matuschak, Publisher, the "Electronic Atlas Newsletter":
  "Dedicated to information about 'real-life' and professional applications
  of Geographic Information Systems (GIS)" [Since 1990]  For info, contact:
  [log in to unmask](206) 525-7155//P.O. Box 75394, Seattle, WA 98125-0394