From:
"Angie Cope, AGSL" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 17 Jan 2006 14:26:43 -0600
Subject:        Re: MAPS-L: Searching by coordinates; lists of coordinates
Date:   Tue, 17 Jan 2006 12:03:29 -0800
From:   Mary Larsgaard <[log in to unmask]>
To:     Maps, Air Photo & Geospatial Systems Forum <[log in to unmask]>

a. searching by coordinates in ADL -
http://webclient.alexandria.ucsb.edu
I do realize the interface is difficult
to use, and honestly, we are working
on improving it.
The most effective limitation beyond
coordinates is limiting by what collection
you'd like to search. I discourage searches
using "Words to search by", because
the bib records are different in many
ways from our standard AACR/MARC21
records - and one important one is
that the records don't have the kind
of subject headings we're accustomed
to; and also the concept of added entry
isn't the same situation.

b. lists of coordinates:
There is a coordinates email reflector maintained
by the Geography and Map Division of LofC,
and we're certainly looking for digital versions
of all the hardcopy lists many of us have.
There is a counties list, but the coordinates
are in decimal degrees, so a cataloger
would either have to use decimal degrees
(MARC21 permits this) or convert each coordinate
to D/M/Seconds. Colleen Cahill of LCG&M
does if my memory serves now have this
list of county coordinates available over the Web
(?maybe only by ftp??)

Mary