From:
Johnnie Sutherland <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 6 Feb 2002 16:15:12 -0500
--- Begin Forwarded Message ---
Date: Mon, 4 Feb 2002 15:04:05 -0800 (PST)
From: Lily Wai <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: ArcIMS Map Services on INSIDE Idaho
Sender: Lily Wai <[log in to unmask]>

We have just added two new ArcIMS mapping services to our Interactive
Mapping page at: (Most of the work was designed and completed by Bruce
Godfrey, GIS analyst, and our consultant Fred Gifford of Maxim
Technologies.)

http://inside.uidaho.edu/interactive/mapping.htm

For use in a Web browser these need to be viewed at a screen area size of
1024 x 768 (we will have an 800 x 600 version in the future).  They are
best viewed in Internet Explorer but will work in Netscape.

The first is a USGS Topographic Map (DRG) application that is designed to
allow users to view 1:250,000, 1:100,000, and 1:24,000 scale digital
raster graphics for Idaho as seamless, edge matched layers.  The 3
seamless, edge matched, statewide raster layers turn on and off depending
on the users current scale.  Those of you who are familiar with the paper
editions of the USGS topographic maps, these are the identical digital
version, but you can zoom in, zoom out, pan seamlessly and identify as you
wish on the web and print out the map exactly the way you want it to be.

The second is a basic Idaho Features application intended to display
general features of Idaho over a Shaded Relief.  General features include
counties and major roads, rivers, and cities.  There are both color and
grayscale Shaded Relief images available.

Both ArcIMS applications are accessing data stored in SQL Server via
ArcSDE.  We hope that this will provide solid performance to these large
raster data sets.  The 1:24,000-scale DRG layer exceeds 5 GB but has
performed well in testing.

We are interested to see how this performs for users.  If it performs
well, we anticipate making additional, larger raster data available this
way.  Please contact me or Bruce Godfrey at [log in to unmask] with your
comments or questions.

Lily Wai, INSIDE Idaho Project Director   Phone: 208-885-6344
Professor, Head of Government Documents   Fax:   208-885-6817
University of Idaho Library (0135)        E-Mail:[log in to unmask]
Rayburn Street                            http://www.lib.uidaho.edu/govdoc
Moscow, Idaho 83844-2353                  http://inside.uidaho.edu

--- End Forwarded Message ---