From:
Maps-L Moderator <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 2 Oct 2006 09:14:06 -0500
Subject:        Fwd: Fw: UGA Map Library pics
Date:   Sun, 01 Oct 2006 16:51:33 -0500
From:   Christopher Mixon <[log in to unmask]>
To:     <[log in to unmask]>

This is from Neil Hughes at UGA and a couple of weeks old.

Chris

>>> Neil Hughes <[log in to unmask]> 9/22/2006 2:17 PM >>>
We had a little "incident" at the UGA Map Library this week--an
underage
drinker was speeding down South Milledge Ave in the wee hours of the
a.m.,
and, well ... didn't see that the road had run out. Unfortunately, our
map
collection lives at the end of said road. Bricks were propelled the
full
length of the (very large) room from the impact, so it's beyond good
that it
happened after hours and no staff or patrons were in the facility. The
collection suffered very little damage at all, and cleanup efforts are
well
underway. These images show damage that's not even remotely analogous
that at our fellow institutions after last year's hurricanes, but
they're
still disturbing enough.

(The first page was obviously named by someone with a slightly twisted
sense
of humor!)

Just when you thought you were safe sitting at a map table ...