From:
Date:
Sat, 9 Mar 2013 12:34:41 -0600
Subject: RE: Maps-L Map Libraries & Social Media Survey
Date: Sat, 9 Mar 2013 03:54:14 -0800
From: Virginia R Hetrick PhD <[log in to unmask]>
To: Maps, Air Photo, GIS Forum - Map Librarianship <[log in to unmask]>

Hi, folks -

I'm not trying to be a contrarian, but NOT EVERYBODY has one or more
of the social media capabilities in their electronic communications
environment.

Some of us don't care to become involved in social media environments
because of the apparent flakiness of these companies in managing the
privacy rules and "ownership" rules (for lack of a better term) such
that information we don't want exposed "accidentally" gets exposed.
Further, the companies seem to think a "sorry we goofed up" is an
adequate response to complaints though some of the larger companies
give a "sorry we goofed up but we've fixed the problem now" answer.

I used to sign up for most anything that came along.  But, when my
primary login id where I worked received more than 300 communications
from outside the company within 24 hours of the email's being set up,
I stopped taking the "how cool/signup" approach.

I'm jes' sayin'....

Virginia R. Hetrick, here in sunny California
Email:  [log in to unmask]
"There is always hope."
My fave:  http://www.washington.edu/cambots/camera1_l.jpg
There's no place like:  34N 8' 25.40", 117W 58' 5.36"
if you can't be at:  48N 6' 59.9" 122W 59' 54.2"