From:
"Angie Cope, AGSL" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 31 Jul 2006 08:17:13 -0500
forwarded from maphist

-------- Original Message --------
Subject:        More Forbes Smiley news from Kim Martineau
Date:   Sun, 30 Jul 2006 10:48:23 +0100
From:   tony campbell <[log in to unmask]>
To:     maps-l

The latest instalment from Kim Martineau:

http://www.courant.com/news/local/hc-smiley0730.artjul30,0,5668384.story?coll=hc-headlines-local

'Libraries Suspect More Maps Taken. Yale University and other prominent
institutions fear federal authorities may not have been thorough enough in
their investigation of map dealer E. Forbes Smiley III' (by Kim Martineau in
the Hartford Courant, 30 July 2006) - The article gives details of specific
maps, missing from different libraries, that may be linked to Smiley.
Martineau states that "the British Library and Harvard can prove Smiley
looked at all the rare books in which maps have been found stolen. The
problem lies in proving the maps were there when Smiley pulled the books."
The British Library have 'serious doubts' about the completeness of the FBI
investigation and have hired a former federal prosecutor, Robert Goldman in
Philadelphia, to push their case. He stated that the BL "view themselves as
being trustees of the treasures that belong to the British public and are
extremely interested in recovering these objects". It is reported that
librarians will be meeting in New Haven on August 7, "in a closed-door
conference with the FBI to sort out loose ends before sentencing".

At the end of the piece reference is made to the fact that the supplementary
list of material missing from Harvard's Houghton Library is going to be
posted on the Thefts pages of 'Map History'.  I assume I will be receiving
that list shortly.

This might be the place to note that I have now mounted the last of the
documents relating to Smiley's court appearance on 22 June, namely the
court's press release.  This was in the form of an email and is not, as far
as I know, available elsewhere on the web.  It is at:

http://www.maphistory.info/smiley22june.html

The remaining court documents are on the Map Room weblog at:

http://www.mcwetboy.net/maproom/2006/06/forbes_smiley_case_court_documents.phtml

Tony Campbell